Food safety is a very important issue. Due to the important role it plays in people’s health, it is of prime
importance that there exist a way to ensure its safety. Food safety in a society is done on multiple levels,
ranging from the individual to that of the state. In the case of India, food safety and quality assurance is
maintained by the governmental body FSSAI. It is the prime governmental body that has been tasked with making sure
consumers gain access to the highest quality food at any given time.
Types of FSSAI License
- FSSAI Basic License
- FSSAI State License
- FSSAI Central License
Let us discuss details Types of FSSAI Licence. We have enlisted all the required information for you if you are
into or planning to be food business operator in India. Below mentioned types of FSSAI is as per the annual
- Basic Registration - If the annual turnover of the
business is less than 12 lakhs then the food business operator shall get registered with Registration Form
- State Registration - If the annual turnover of the
business is between 12 to 20 crores then the food business operator shall apply for State license Form B.
- Central Registration - If the annual turnover of the
business is above 20 crores, then the food business operator shall apply for Central License Form B.
Based on the range mentioned above of annual turnover, a food business operator has to Apply for FSSAI online
Types of FSSAI as per the size of food business -
- If the food business operator is running a food -business which is of a medium size that is
hotel, restaurants, food manufacturers, then they are liable for State Licence.
- If the food business operator is a large size food manufacturer, then they are accountable for a
FSSAI Central License.
FSSAI has made it mandatory for the entire food business operator to get registered for food license for
smoothly running of the business or else the same has to cope with many penalties and legal charges. The laws
now become very stringent, and the act has a specific mention for OFFENCES AND PENALTIES related to food and its
Registration fee_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Time taken_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Login with your user credential and select apply for license/Registration from the Tab License/registration and
proceed. Follow the following steps -
1. Firstly you should accept the undertaking.
2. Select the state where your premise of food business situated.
3. Confirm yes if you have premises in more than one state otherwise select No.
4. If selected yes at step 2 and you are applying for Head Office/Registered office select yes. If you have
premise in more than one state but you are not applying for Head Office/Registered office then select No
5. If you selected yes at step 4 and you have other food business from Head Office/Registered office select yes.
Proceed for next step.
6. If selected No at step 3. Proceed for next step.
7. Select Kind of business.
8. Select the turnover or installed capacity.
9. Furnished the details as address of registered office, premise of business, person in-charge of operation,
person complying with condition of license and products details etc.
10. Upload the supporting documents.
11. Pay the fees.(online in case of central license, for state license/ registration payment mode may be online or
offline via challan etc.)
12. Print Form B and sign the same. after scanning this form upload it and acknowledgement will be generated.
COMMON DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ALL TYPES OF FSSAI REGISTRATIONS:
- Form A or Form B (Form – A for Basic FSSAI Registration & Form – B for State or Central FSSAI
Registration) – complete and signed,
- 2 Passport Sized Latest Photographs,
- PAN Card of the Business Owner/Proprietor/Partner/Director,
- Proof of Possession of the Premises (Property Papers-if property is owned, Utility bills
(Electricity or water) or Rent Agreement – if property is rented),
- Partnership Deed,
- Certificate of Incorporation or Articles of Association (AoA) for a company,
- A complete list of food items the business will be involved in,
- An FSMS (Food Safety Management System) plan (applicable for FSSAI State or Central Food License
DOCUMENTS FOR STATE FOOD LICENSE:
- A complete and signed Form – B,
- Details of the Owner/Proprietor/Partners/Directors. With their Photo ID, Address Proofs, and
- The proposed layout of the location, and the planned placement of the equipment,
- Possession Proof of that building/premises,
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owners. Along with their details, such as name &
- Copy of License from the Manufacturers of the Equipment,
- List and Details of the Equipment already installed or planned to be installed at the premises,
- All Food Products and their categories that are planned to be produced,
- d System for Food Safety Management (FSMS).
DOCUMENTS FOR CENTRAL FOOD LICENSE:
- A completed and signed Form – B,
- Details of the Owner/Proprietor, Partners or Directors. With their Photo ID, Photographs and
- Proof of Annual Turnover,
- The layout of the proposed location, along with the planned installation and placement of the
- Proof of Possession for the building/premises,
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owners, along with their other details, such as name &
- Copy of License from the Manufacturers of the Machinery & Equipment,
- List and Details of the equipment already installed or proposed to be installed at the location,
- All Food Products and/or categories that are planned to be produced,
- Planned Food Safety Management System (FSMS),
- Water Report Analysis by an accredited Laboratory,
- Source of procurement for Milk, Meat & its processing unit, as applicable,
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Local Authority, as applicable,
- If the FBO is engaged in Mineral or Carbonated water, then Pesticide Residual Report by a
Government Accredited Laboratory,
- Import-Export Code (IEC), if applicable,
- Certificate from the Ministry of Tourism, if applicable,
- Proof of Turnover for Vehicles, as may apply to the line of business,
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from FSSAI.
FSSAI certificate, fresh as well as renewal, is issued and valid for 1 to a maximum of 5 years depending on
the application filed by the Food Business Operators.
The FSSAI Food Registration or License shall continue to be valid till the orders are passed on the renewal
application. This will not go beyond 30 days from the date of the expiry of your FSSAI number.
An adequate Food Safety Management System or FSMS checks every step involved in the product (food) handling.
It is executed to ensure that food is processed, packed, produced, and stored safely. And that the hygiene
has been maintained at all stages. It includes good practices, hazards analysis management, system
statutory, regulatory requirements, and communication. The primary objective of its implementation can only
be achieved by involving all associates and employees.
You can apply for an FSSAI License Renewal on this portal itself. You just need to be ready with Form – C,
which is compulsory to be uploaded. If you are not placed in Andhra Pradesh and Telengana and certain other
states, you are required to submit a hard-copy of the application duly signed with a copy of the fees paid,
after applying online.
If you couldn’t apply for renewal, at least 30 days before the expiry of your existing Food Safety
Certificate, a penalty of Rs. 100 per day will be levied, during the delay.
The Designated Officer will authorize an agency or Food Safety Official (FSO) to conduct checks and
The Designated Officer has been authorized to decide. His decision is generally based on
improvement/compliance notices as may have been submitted by the Agency/ Food Safety Official. The orders
for all inspections are given by the Designated Officer only.
FBOs already having a valid certificate of an accredited food safety auditor or from an agency accredited by
FSSAI Authority or any other organization notified by the Food Authority for this purpose may not be
required to be inspected before renewal of the license.